Friday 26 February 2010

Burning Your Tax Pounds With Glee

My team (a subset of my seminar group) in the Introduction to Advertising unit will be making its first presentation on Monday. In fact I’m writing this while taking a break from preparing the presentation itself. 

On Thursday (25/02/10) we had a team meeting. It was very interesting for me, especially as it was the first team meeting at which I’d managed to get all the members together. Until recently the team had consisted of only three people, including myself.

The meeting was held to discuss the plan of the presentation and the fact that I’d be sending out the presentation slides and scripts Saturday morning so the others could read it through and practice. Even ask questions if they wanted before the big day.

One issue from this meeting really left me wondering. Someone asked how long the presentation was meant to last. The answer is 20 minutes. I knew this but didn’t say so because I had become very suspicious of my team members. None of the other three could answer this question. Does this mean that none of them have even read the briefing for this task? I fear that might well be the case.

I am less than confident of this task. I have considered just making the presentation myself but I’m certain the tutors etc would not be keen on that. After all, it is meant to be a team assignment.

Another observation I would make is that there seems to be a definite lack of enthusiasm or eagerness in my seminar group as well as my assignment team for the Introduction to Advertising unit. I’ve noticed the following kinds of behaviours in the seminars.
  • Girly giggling (mainly from the boys).
  • Doodling instead of taking notes.
  • Fiddling with mobile phones, sending texts etc.
  • Fiddling with laptops.
  • Holding conversations whilst the tutor is trying to speak, very ignorant behaviour.
  • Total disinterest in answering questions.
  • Obvious complete lack of preparation for the seminar (no evidence of prior written notes or having completed set tasks).
  • Little willingness to take part in the seminar process or make a positive contribution.

The lectures are often punctuated with the lecturer inquiring what students are doing as they’re pretty obviously not paying any attention to what she’s saying.

Does this truly represent value for money for the taxpayers? Remember that students only fund part of their fees. The government, using your hard earned cash, pays the rest. If what I am seeing is common throughout the UK then the taxpayer is getting a particularly raw deal. I fear that a great deal of money and resources are being wasted on what I can only describe as EDUCARE instead of education.

How long can this continue?

No comments:

Post a Comment