Thursday 25 February 2010

Peter Day - Inspiring a Jaded Mature Student

I have to confess that the lack of commitment, passion or interest exhibited by many of my fellow students has left me feeling appalled. Sometimes I feel like grabbing them by the throat and shaking them until they rattle in a vain attempt to wake them up. Enthusiasm is just another word they cannot spell or understand. But today I had an experience that reminded me why I wanted to go to university.

I sneakily arranged to attend a lecture given by Peter Day, the Radio 4 presenter of “In Business”. It was arranged by the Public Relations course but, thanks to being tipped off by a helpful university staff member, I was able to attend. 

The lecture was ostensibly concerned with Public Relations. Peter Day approached the subject from a different viewpoint. The viewpoint of a journalist who is, if he’s not careful, deluged with Press Releases and Public Relations people who are desperate to push their clients products and services.

His lecture was amusing, entertaining and enlightening. He offered us a view of the world from his own unique perspective. I was inspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment